Important Hospital Update
March 20, 2020
Important COVID19 Provisions at Heywood Healthcare
Hospital Precautionary Measures:
- The Heywood Hospital South entrance is closed until further notice. The only entrance available is the main entrance.
- Inpatient Visitation Restricted to patients on comfort measures only, laboring mothers or extenuating circumstances. 1 healthy visitor is allowed.
- Outpatient/Emergency Department Visitation restricted only to patients in need of a care-giver, healthcare proxy/decision-maker, guardian, or an extenuating circumstance. 1 healthy visitor is allowed to accompany patients to a procedure, test or appointment.
- Click here to see tips on ways to keep in touch with your loved ones who are in the hospital.
- Elective surgeries are cancelled until further notice. All surgeries done will be urgent or emergent. The Athol Hospital OR is closed indefinitely.
- Long-term oncology patients are being rescheduled on a case by case basis.
- The cafeterias at Heywood and Athol Hospital are closed for public use until further notice.
- All support groups, classes, club meetings, etc. held on Heywood Healthcare campuses are suspended indefinitely.
- The UMass Specialty Office and Leominster Dermatology offices on the Heywood campus will be closed until further notice.
- The Life Center is closed until further notice.
- All non-essential personnel, including students and interns, are temporarily restricted from Heywood Hospital, Athol Hospital, and all Heywood Medical Group locations.
- All vendors are restricted. Alternate arrangements have been made on necessity.
Satellite Location Precautions:
- Our Urgent Care (located on Main St. in Gardner) and Tully Walk-in (located in the Market Basket Plaza in Athol) locations are open for Care Operations for sick visits Monday – Friday 8:00 am - 8:00 pm, and Sat/Sun 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Please be reminded we are not providing “on demand” testing. Patients who visit these locations will be screened and tested if they meet clinical criteria for testing.
- Please visit the main COVID19 page for a list of our open Primary Care Practices for non-urgent appointments. It is important that patients call their Primary Care Provider if they suspect they have COVID19 in order to receive the most up to date information.
- Our Primary Care Physicians are currently receiving training on Telemedicine so we may continue to efficiently, effectively and safely support our patients needs throughout this challenging time
- Several of the area schools are continuing to provide students with school breakfast and/or lunches. Heywood is assisting to supplement with food items, and some of our business partners have offered support and a location for warehouse storage and packing backpacks.
- Our Tele-Behavioral Health services are continuing, and we are also preparing to provide this service to some additional schools that have traditionally not been supported by this modality.
- We will be recording some of our youth activity programming, where activities will be recorded and shared with the community. Activities will include exercise, Kids Yoga and Kids Dance Along, to encourage our youth to continue to be active and healthy during this uncertain time.
- See the links below for other resources for keeping you and your family safe during this pandemic.
Please continue to refer to Heywood Healthcare’s websites and social media platforms for the most up to date information