As a patient of Athol Hospital you have both rights and responsibilities. By exercising your rights and fulfilling your responsibilities, you enable the hospital to provide the best possible care during your stay with us.
You have the right:
- To select the physician of your choice, except in the case of emergency medical treatment and provided that the physician is able to accommodate your choice;
- Upon request, to receive an itemized bill;
- Upon request, to obtain the name and specialty of the physician or other person responsible for your care or coordination of care;
- To confidentiality of all records and communications to the extent provided by law;
- To a prompt and adequate response to all reasonable requests within the capabilities of the hospital;
- Upon request, to obtain an explanation of the relationship, if any, of Athol Hospital and any other health care facility or educational institution insofar as it pertains to your treatment;
- Upon request, to receive any information which this facility has available regarding financial assistance and free care;
- Upon request, and following notification of your physician, to inspect your medical records or to receive a copy for a fee determined by the current rate of duplicating expenses;
- To refuse to be examined, observed, or treated by students or any other staff member without jeopardizing access to medical care and attention, and to be informed of the consequences;
- To refuse to serve as a research subject and to refuse any care or examination when the primary purpose is educational or informational rather than therapeutic;
- To privacy during medical treatment or care within the capacity of Athol Hospital;
- To prompt life-saving treatment in an emergency without discrimination because of source of payment or delay due to discussions of source of payment unless such delay will not be a risk to your health;
- To informed consent to the extent provided by law;
- Upon request, to receive a copy of the bill or other statement of charges submitted to any insurer for your care;
- In the event of an ethical dilemma, to be given access to the Ethics Committee for you or your representative;
- To formulate an Advance Directive and appoint a Health Care Proxy;
- To access Protective Services;
- To assessment and management of pain;
- To a safe environment and an environment free from harassment.
- To have your concerns addressed.
- To the least restrictive measures if restraints are necessary.
- If the patient is a female rape victim of childbearing age, to receive medically and factually accurate written information prepared by the commissioner of public health about emergency contraception; to be promptly offered emergency contraception; and to be provided with emergency contraception upon request.
Quality of Care, Patient Rights, & Safety Concerns may be reported to the following: Athol Hospital Chief Operating Officer, 2033 Main Street, Athol, MA 01331, 978 249-3511; The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine, 200 Harvard Mill Square Suite 330, Wakefield MA 01880, 781-876-8200; The Massachusetts Department of Public Health, 99 Chauncy St, Boston MA 02111, 617 753-8000; or The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181, 1-800 994-6610. (rev. July 2008)