As a patient of Athol Hospital you have both rights and responsibilities. By exercising your rights and fulfilling your responsibilities, you enable the hospital to provide the best possible care during your stay with us.
You are responsible for:
- providing accurate and complete information about your present symptoms, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, and other matters relating to your health.
- reporting unexpected changes in your condition to the responsible practitioner.
- communicating whether or not you clearly understand the planned course of treatment and what is expected of you.
- following the treatment plan recommended by the practitioner primarily responsible for your care and following the instruction of nurses and allied health personnel as they carry out the coordinated plan of care and implement the responsible practitioner’s orders, and as they enforce the applicable hospital rules and regulations.
- keeping appointments or notifying the responsible practitioner or hospital department when you are unable to do so.
- the consequences of your own actions if you refuse treatment or do not follow the practitioner’s instructions.
- assuring that the financial obligations of your health care are fulfilled as promptly as possible.
- following the hospital rules and regulations affecting patient care and conduct.
- acting in a manner considerate of the rights of other patients and hospital personnel and for assisting in control of noise, smoking and the number of visitors.
- respecting hospital property and the personal property of others at the hospital.
- respecting the privacy of other patients and their protected health information.
Quality of Care, Patient Rights, and Safety Concerns may be reported to the following: Athol Hospital Chief Executive Officer, 2033 Main Street, Athol, MA 01331, 978 249-3511; The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine, 200 Harvard Mill Square, Suite 330, Wakefield, MA 01880, 781 876-8200; The Massachusetts Department of Public Health, 99 Chauncy Street, Boston, MA 02111, 617 753-8000; or The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181, 1-800 994-6610. (August 14, 2008)