The Center Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation at Athol Hospital
Comprehensive Post-acute Care with the Hospital Advantage
When you need extra time to heal, choose the Center for Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation at Athol Hospital. Patients recovering from major surgery, an injury or an illness, sometimes require additional rehabilitation and skilled nursing to ensure complete and safe recovery. After surgery and hospitalization, patients often transfer from the hospital to a specialized rehab facility to help improve their physical functioning.
Here at Athol Hospital, our Center for Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, allows us to swing beds from acute care to post-acute care, streamlining your recovery process and offering patients the advantage immediate access to on-site hospital services, like laboratory, radiology, oncology, cardiology, diabetic care and more. Whether you were first treated here or elsewhere, our Center for Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation is open to any qualifying patient wishing to recuperate on or near family and friends, or in the personalized comfort and medical convenience of Athol Hospital.
Our Center for Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation is part of a federally-approved Swing Bed program that allows small
hospitals like ours to use regular patient rooms for post-acute care. Our specialized nursing staff, physical rehabilitation
and occupational therapy staff, and respiratory therapy and speech therapy professionals are available on-site to
provide you with comprehensive rehabilitation care.
“This is the best place I have ever been. The staff is so attentive. I ring the bell and they are there, right away. Everybody has been so caring and wonderful to me during my rehabilitation. I just love this place.”
Bernie DiPasquale (pictured with his wife Christine), Gardner, MA. Age 71, retired police officer.
Who's Right for a Swing Bed?
• Orthopedic patients with recent joint repair or replacement
• Those recovering from a wound, major surgery or serious illness
• Patients with recent cosmetic or restorative surgery
• Anyone who needs acute physical, occupational or cognitive therapy after hospitalization
• Patients in need of post-hospitalization pain management or IV therapy
• Patients who require management of diabetes, cancer, congestive heart failure, and other chronic conditions
• Those in need of end-of-life care
The Center offers an array of skilled services
• ACLS trained nurses
• 24/7 physician on staff
• IV Therapy, IV antibiotics and pain management
• Telemetry, heart monitoring and blood transfusions
• Post-surgical and wound care
• Immediate access to on-site hospital services, including laboratory and X-rays
• Gait training, balance and endurance
• Improve gross motor skills and coordination
• Gain strength and increase range of motion
• Reduce muscle spasm, pain and edema
• Recovery from a stroke or other illness/injury
• Instruction in adaptive techniques for self-care and daily living activities
• Acquiring of skills to compensate for the effects of illness
• Evaluation and treatment of communication disorders
• Assessment of swallowing problems, including modified barium studies
• Cognitive training/retraining
The Center also offers:
• Orthopedic rehabilitation
• Rehabilitation following joint surgery
• Physical therapy center
• Custom bracing and splinting
• Pet therapy program
• Hand therapy
• Kineseo taping (rehabilitative taping technique)
• Vestibular rehabilitation for inner ear and movement
• Speech and occupational therapy following stroke
Comfort and Care Services
• Free Wi-fi and flat screen televisions
• Case Management and Social Services for enhanced coordination of individualized discharge plans
• Social and physical activities coordinated by our experienced Rehabilitation Services team
• Religious services are available upon request
• Personal laundry service available at no charge
Learn more about our patient amenities.
For more information contact (978) 249-1181.